Stay in the Know | Join Digital Public Meeting #1: Tuesday, June 30; 6 – 7 p.m.
The City of Colorado Springs is proposing improvements to transportation and neighborhood vitality along portions of Chelton Road, Jet Wing Drive and Hancock Expressway. These roads have been identified in the City Bike Master PlanA plan for the development of a portion of the city that contains proposed land uses, a generalized transportation system, and the relationship of the area included in the plan to surrounding property. as key bicycle corridors, and the City has studied how bicycle infrastructure might be added to provide bicycle connections and improve safety by providing dedicated space for people on foot, on bikes and in cars.
Provide your input to the proposals -- See the Public Meetings Tab on this site for information about the series of two free digital public meetings scheduled for 6 – 7 p.m., Tuesdays, June 30 and July 14.
- Expanding the bike lanes currently on Chelton Road (from Bijou Street to Mallard Drive) south to Jet Wing Drive, and/or between Jet Wing Drive and Hancock Expressway;
- Expanding the bike lanes currently on Jet Wing Drive (from Wernimont Circle to Hancock Expressway), south to Academy Boulevard; and
- Creating bike lanes on Hancock Expressway from Chelton Road to Resnick Drive.
How this would happen
These improvements would occur by reconfiguring the space in the right-of-way, changing the roadways from two travel lanes in each direction and a center turn lane; to one travel-lane in each direction and a center turn lane. This roadway configuration is already in place on Chelton Road, north of Mallard and on Jet Wing Drive, north of the Hancock Expressway.
3-lane roadways such as this project proposes generally result in slower speeds and crashes that are less severe, resulting in a more neighborly feel. 3-lane roads are easier to cross and act as less of a barrier in our neighborhoods than 5-lane roads.
By creating dedicated space for pedestrians, people on bikes and people in cars, the entire corridor will provide a safer and more predictable trip regardless of how you choose to get around. The added buffer between vehicles and bikes provides an additional margin for error for all roadway users.
The proposed bike lanes would provide much needed connections for people on bikes to:
- Schools, including Carmel and Panorama Middle Schools
- Shopping areas, including the Academy Boulevard commercial corridor
- Places to recreate, including the SkyView and Leon Young Sports Complexes, the Sand Creek Library, and the Boys & Girls Clubs
- The Sand Creek Trail
- Panorama Park
- Medical facilities
- Places of worship
The data collection and analysis were funded through the Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) On-Street Bikeway Improvement program. Implementation could be funded through the City’s Bicycle Excise Tax.
Between 2016 and 2018 the City completed a citywide Bike Master Plan, which involved extensive public engagement. One element of the plan was a vision network of existing and future bicycle infrastructure. When built out, this network would provide basic connectivity across the city. The Master Plan identified locations for infrastructure but did not specify what that infrastructure would look like or when it would be built. The segments under question were all identified in that future network.
Chelton was repaved in 2019. At that time, citizens approached the City requesting that we consider a roadway safety reconfiguration to include bike lanes, citing the following benefits:
- Investment in the southeast part of the city
- Safe and healthy environment for kids and families
- Connections/connectivity for all destination in the southeast area
- Safer trail crossings
- Access to Sand Creek
- Improved safety and predictability for all people, regardless of how they choose to get around
Although the benefits were clear, the City felt that a decision to reconfigure Chelton would require an analysis of the potential costs of doing so. In late 2019, the City contracted with WSP, a local engineering consulting firm, to conduct data collection and analysis for Chelton, Jet Wing, and Hancock.
The collection and analysis were finished in spring, 2020, and the City is ready to share with residents the results.
Your input is important.
For the safety of our community during this COVID-19 pandemic the City is hosting a series of free virtual public meetings from 6 – 7 p.m. Tuesdays, June 30 and July 14.. Following each digital meeting, the public may provide input through a series of survey questions by computer or phone.
The digital meetings will be through Microsoft Teams (access the meeting by computer or by calling in by phone to 1 (720) 617-3426. Although not required, individuals may download Microsoft Teams (at no cost) to their computer or mobile device.
or, email Carolyn@Bachmanpr.com asking to receive project updates and meeting reminders.
Digital Public Meeting #1: Tuesday, June 30; 6 – 7 p.m.
Overall project introduction and study specifics on these road segments:
- Jet Wing from Hancock to Academy
- Chelton from Jet Wing to Hancock
- Hancock from Chelton to Resnick
Survey Focus: Online survey to share preferences for the above roadway segments
How to join
- Access this Digital Meeting with your computer or phone
- OR, call-in by phone to 1 (720) 617-3426
- Respond to survey questions by computer or phone at the end of the meeting.
- Questions will also be posted to this website following the meeting for the option to respond by email.
Digital Public Meeting #2: Tuesday, July 14; 6 – 7 p.m.
Presentation: Initial survey results from 1st meeting. Study specifics on the roadway segment:
- Chelton from Mallard to Jet Wing.
- Survey Focus: Online survey to share preferences for the above roadway segment.
- LINK TO ACCESS THIS DIGITAL MEETING AVAILABLE JULY 7, 2020
City of Colorado Springs:
- Kate Brady, Senior Bike Planner
- Traffic Engineering/Public Works
- Ph: 719.385.5437
- Lisa Bachman, APR, Public/Stakeholder Engagement – Bachman pr
- Ph: 719-488-5908
- Monica Ramey, Public/Stakeholder Engagement – Bachman pr
- Ph: 719-339-4109